- In order that the African Methodist Episcopal Zion church may conform more closely to the spirit and mission of the ministry of our Lord; and employ the most effective means for the accomplishment of the chief end of the gospel – the salvation of souls.
- In order that the Church may more vigorously promote and apply the moral and spiritual agencies by which persons are rescued from sin and trained for heaven;
- In order that a more inviting opportunity may be given our ministers to use their evangelistic gifts more frequently in conducting revivals; and to systematize the work of evangelism among the ministry.
The Discipline of the A. M. E. Zion Church sets forth the following points of emphasis:
- The Department of Evangelism shall be continually vitalized with ample administration and adequate budget.
- Every pastor is directed to undertake an annual evangelistic quota.
- Lay evangelism shall be emphasized in every parish and the Lay Council shall make evangelism its primary program.
- Every Sunday Church School shall emphasize “Decision Day” annually, in October and also undertake an evangelistic quota for active membership in the church school.
- Every class leader will be appointed and sustained in office on the basis of his or her individual evangelistic efforts.
- Every trustees and steward must give evidence of his or her desire, ability, and practice of witnessing to the gospel of the kingdom of God in and beyond their environs.
- Every church should have an annual crusade for a month or more for new church members. Coaching, literature, promotional material, and uniformity of approach being furnished by the Department of Evangelism.